Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

HBC 10K Race Report

Woke up at 6:00 am, had my Vector cereal, took Bud on his walk and fed him breakfast, then it was out the door at 7:00 am. Beautiful day for a race -- sunny, warm (but not humid). Did a warm-up run from my house to Ontario Place -- fortunately there was Gatorade already set up at the race site so I had a couple of cups. Since this is a 10K, I didn't want to warm-up with slow runs at the beginning of the race. I was aiming for an under 1 hour time so I wanted to race right from the start.

The race was delayed by 10 minutes due to the huge numbers (1599 participants). I set my Garmin with 10:1 intervals, remembered to wear my heart rate monitor, wore my new shoes, had the time chip on, left the Sharkies at home (bad last minute decision), had my HBC tech shirt with #36005 on. I seeded myself in the 1/3 back since I didn't want to go too fast. I felt warmed up and ready!
Once I got over the starter's mat, it was a familiar route eastwards along the Martin Goodman Trail. Since there were so many people crowded together, I wasn't able to enjoy the view when I train alone. We headed east for 5K until we close to the Humber River Bridge and then headed 5K west back to Ontario Place. While coming back, I had to contend with the sun shining directly at me (opted not to wear a hat and didn't put on sunscreen). It was nice to see the racers heading west when I was still heading east. I was not pleased with the narrow width of the raceway -- and that was throughout the course, but more so at the beginning. Not much spectators. There was a guy banging on steel drums, which was appreciated. The fluid stations were about every 2.5K and I only sipped my own water bottle I think once. Fortunately I didn't need to use the washroom.

At the beginning, I noticed my Garmin pacing at 6:25 minutes/K, which I felt was too fast. Thank goodness for the walk break as I needed it after the first 10 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, I got into a comfortable groove. Perhaps I should have brought along some music to let the time go quicker. Here are my paces:

First 10:1 interval = 6:13 min/K
Second 10:1 interval = 6:14 min/K
Third 10:1 = 5:56 min/K
Fourth 10:1 = 5:34 min/K
Fifth 10:1 = 5:23 min/K
Sixth 10:1 = 4:42 min/K

Chip Time = 58:32 (Yes!! Under 1 hour)
Gun Time = 1:00:39.4
Overall Rank = 864 out of 1599
Gender Rank = 530 out of 727
Age Rank = 131 out of 177


Once I got the time chip removed and awarded my finisher's medal, I drank 2 bottles of Powerade. I also ate 2 bagels and a banana. Boy was I hungry! One man was taken away on a stretcher by the paramedics. I overhead someone saying he fell. I didn't see him moving and hope he's okay.

Overall, I am very pleased with my performance as it's 3 minutes better than last year. This race is always a favourite -- don't recall the runway so narrow last year, though. Love the finisher's medal!! Hope to be back next Canada Day!