Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Nissan 10-Miler Race Report

Woke up to 680 News with the weather report stating overcast conditions with light rain in the morning; temperature at 5:00 am with humidity at 30C -- arrgh! After walking and feeding Bud, I got my running gear on (and double checking). I opted to wear "The Lock" shorts that I bought last fall -- I believe I saw it at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront marathon expo -- it has no pockets so I took the advice in the Runner's World to use a baby pin to secure emergency bills to my tech shirt and secure my house key on my left shoe (right shoe for time chip). I warmed up by running very slowly as I made my way to the Distillery District. I remembered the struggle I had a couple of days ago running 10:1 (x3) when I upped the pace too quickly - none of that for today! I arrived at about 7:35 am, went to the washroom, and then picked up my time-chip. Fortunately, there was Gatorade at the finishing line already set up and I had a couple of cups.

Starting line was a bit chaotic as there wasn't much room to get into the correct corral. I didn't have to worry since I was placed in the final corral. When I registered for the combo package with the Canada Running Series, I predicted a finishing time of 1:45. The race started on time (always important for me) and the weather was overcast with some humidity. Both the 10 milers and the 5Ks started together, with divergence happening at the 2.5 K, when the 5Ks turned around and headed back to the finish line.

I enjoyed the route, which reminded me of last year's Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon and an LSD one Sunday a couple of months ago. After running south on Cherry Street, we were under the Gardiner Expressway (scenic view) and then headed east on Commissioner's Road. The run throughTommy Thompson Park lasted for 9K and was enjoyable with the scenery of Toronto or of the park. I think I enjoyed this route a lot since it was very peaceful and "out" of the city. I had to becareful running through a bridge as well as a couple of short unpaved roads. There was one rather steep hill but that last about 15 seconds. Saw the leading runners when I was at the 4K and they were at 11K. A good number of fluid stations. Didn't need to use the washroom and I didn't think these were plenty along the route. I left the music at home as my shorts have no pockets -- that's okay since I was able to enjoy the run as I found my pacing right from the start enjoyed the endorphins - lots of fun! With about 4K remaining, I was able to run faster so the run was no longer at a moderate pace.

I'm pleased to report that my chip time is 1:37:38.2; gun time 1:39:08.9. That placed in in the 80th percentile, placing 1024 out of 1466 racers; 110/133 in my age category; 645/778 in my gender category. http://www.sportstats.ca/display-results.php?lang=eng&racecode=43616 My splits were 53:30 (first 5 miles) and 45:40 (final 5 miles). My pacing, according to my Garmin, are:

  • First 10:1 = 6:21 min/K;
  • Second 10:1 = 6:22 min/K;
  • Third 10:1 = 6:19 min/K;
  • Fourth 10:1 = 6:13 min/K;
  • Fifth 10:1 = 5:59 min/K;
  • Sixth 10:1 = 5:44 min/K;
  • Seventh 10:1 = 5:29 min/K;
  • Eighth 10:1 = 5:27 min/K; and
  • Ninth 10:1 = 5:12 min/K.

Surprisingly, my Garmin recorded a total distance of 16:15 K (0.05K less) -- usually it's a bit more. It was a bit more (0.08K) for the first half.

The post-food was plenty and I was hungry. Made sure I gulped down Gatorade, had an apple, a banana, 3 bagels (from Silverstein's), and 2 sample packs of Cherrios. There was Frito Lays potato chips but I opted not for that as a bag has 22% of the fat for the day.

Love the finisher's medal!


I enjoyed the Tommy Thompson Park so much I might do my LSD through the park in the future. I'm not sure why it's only open on the weekends -- but that's okay since my LSD is always in the weekend. More information http://ca.geocities.com/sk8toronto@rogers.com/lesss.htm During today's run, I wished I brought along a camera to take some photos of the scenery -- but that would have taken away from the race. There are small cameras (I saw it advertised for about $300 in the Runner's World).

Overall, pleased with the race, which brings my YTD = 583.80 K. Rest day tomorrow and then hopefully a 10:1 (x3) slow run on Tuesday before work.