Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

10:1 (x4)

Been a busy week at work but was able to get out at 4:30 pm so I could have a run beginning at 6:25 pm. Not hot and humid like the weekend (thank goodness) but about 25C with a breeze near the lake. My workout stopped after 10:1 (x2), and although puzzled, I set the training for 10:1 (x2). The workout stopped after 10 minutes. I've reset the Garmin and will set in my next run if the watch works correctly again. Aargh! One other thing...first time I forgot (!) to wear my knee brace to control patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS) (i.e., runner's knee) -- glad it didn't come back :-) I've had to approximate my mileage for this run as 5.8 K. My mileage for the near is now 428.16K. Every kilometre gets me closer to 1000K for the year.

Watched a wonderful documentary called Runner's High http://www.runnershighfilm.com/pages/Store.html. It profiles 4 high school students from a tough neighbourhood in California who sign up for a programme to run a marathon in Los Angeles. The marathon, travel, and living arrangements are all paid for. The students must attend the workouts and must meet "check points" such as running 10K and half marathon. As an educator, I am very impressed with this programme since it gives inner-city youth something to commit with which can change the way they view life (well, that's what a marathon does!). I was so inspired with the movie that I thought of altering my training to run a marathon in September. I brought myself back to reality and will save that for next year. This year is about running half marathons, which I think is an amazing distance!