Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mississauga Half Marathon Race Report

Expo

Went to the expo immediately after work on Friday. The instructions from MapQuest were great -- just wish the traffic wasn't as congested. Arrived at the expo slightly before 5:00 pm. I remembered almost tripping while exiting the hockey rink, from last year, where the expo is located so I was careful this time! I guess most people picked up their bib and time chip on Saturday as there was no line-up for the registration package. Tech shirt size was first-come basis so I got a men's medium.

After having my time chip activated, it was off to see what the booths had to offer. Quite a few races were being promoted (e.g., ATB; Scotiabank Toronto; Toronto Marathon; Niagara; Run for Hope in Hamilton) but the one that really was an eye-opener for me was the Midsummer Night's Run. A night run is different and I'm eyeing the 15K in mid-August. Got to see and touch the new tech shirt and finisher's medal of the HBC 10K on Canada Day -- can't wait for that race, which is one of my favourites! At the Running Room booth, I spun the wheel (always do!) and there was a 50% chance of winning a prize. Fortunately, I won a prize! I had the choice between a Resolution Run 2007 cap; a pair of socks; or a shoe clip (for coins or keys?). I chose the pair of socks since I can't seem to get enough of them. There was an imprint of it being slightly defected -- oh well -- still it was free! I ignored the free chiro exam as I did it last year and it was not what I wanted to hear :- Enjoyed a sample of YoPro yogurt, which seems tastier as soft (rather than frozen) yogurt. Loblaws now sells it but I find it expensive. While leaving the expo, I was handed the premier issue of iRun magazine. Registering in the Mississauga half marathon came with a complimentary 1-year membership. I've read some of the magazine and really like it! The drive home was less chaotic. A good expo but not as big as the Scotiabank Toronto in late September.

The Run

Woke up every couple of hours. I had the window open and folks across the street were sitting outside and talking. I closed the window and that helped -- but wasn't concerned since I had gotten a great night of sleep on Friday. The alarm rang at 4:45 am and after taking the dog on his walk and fed him breakfast (he eats the same thing every morning and evening) (he was surprised it was that early!) I left the house just before 6:00 am. Always enjoy driving when others aren't. Thanks to folks on the RR forum, I entered Square One by driving north on Mavis. Unfortunately, I didn't know that there wasn't a Mavis exit on the QEW so I ended up in Oakville before having to reverse directions. A GPS would have come in handy!

The drive into Square One mall was uneventful (as opposed to the Hurontario entrance which is a huge line-up like last year, with a 45 minute wait). My car was parked at 6:45 am, right beside the starting line. With 45 minutes before the start, I had time to walk to get the blood circulating in the legs. The new RR store was open and I was surprised it's a bit small. Racers were sitting inside to keep warm. I had a look at their shoe selection and didn't see the Brooks Adrenaline and its price. I had a look at racing brochures and nothing really caught my eye. There were lots of potties at the start line and I went to the ones furthest from the start-line so there wasn't a line-up. Nearer to the start time, the line ups grew so people went against walls and the bushes. I was well hydrated, having to go 3 times.

With about 5 minutes until 7:30 am, I looked at the starting corrals and chose the 2:30 to 2:40. I wanted to start slowly and then speed up. The only way (I think) I could run the 21.1K was by starting slowly. And since my legs were only somewhat warmed up, I knew I had to start slow before I could get into a good pace. I wore sunglasses and am grateful the weather cooperated with the sun coming out and no rain! When the gun went off (hmm...didn't hear O'Canada from being so far back), it took 10.5 minutes to cross the start line. As always, I am very careful to ensure my time chip touches the mat at least once. I saw the Mayor waving at the racers.

What's nice about this race is the start is not congested like other big races. I was pleased there were lots of walkers this morning as they kept me company as I ran very slowly. At the beginning, my left leg felt a bit strange and I wondered it was due to the lack of running during the past week. I had the km markers map in my pocket, and refer to it as I write my report (as I try to remember the details). The first 5K was spent running west on Burnhamthorpe, which was mainly flat. The view of the Credit River was amazing! Wish I had a camera. The fluid stations were every 2K and I didn't need to sip on my water bottle. I was pacing about 7:30 to 7:40 per km and continually monitored when I got under 7:10. Even that pacing was fast. I did fall behind the 2:45 pace bunny.

Next, the course went through the University of Toronto Mississauga Campus, which was a downhill decline. Very scenic and I remember this well from last year. Most of the racers were from the half marathon and I noticed a few marathon racers. Lots of power walkers -- they were fast! During this part of the route, I was a bit faster, averaging about 6:50 per km, and getting in a good racing groove. As most of the route was downhill, there was a rather steep uphill incline (steep in terms of my standards!). To prevent injury, I chose to walk up the uphill incline. I believe it was in this part of the course that I passed by the 2:40, 2:35, and 2:30 pace bunnies. They are useful to have on the route.

Slightly past the 14K, the half and full marathoners diverged. I also remember this well from last year as I was one of few people who took a right hand turn (which began my lonely journey to the finish line in the 42.2K). This year, I was in great company. I really enjoyed the scenic route to the finish line. Went through a couple of waterfront parks at which the half and full marathon route became the same again. Great view of the lake. Again, I remembered the route from last year as it was over the bridge, past the medics, and then heading east to the finish line. I don't remember the "victory lap" from last year, though. During the latter part of the race, I was able to run at a steady pace of 5:50 per km, surpassing quite a few runners either struggling or running. Even at the 20K mark, I surpassed power walkers -- wow, they are fast and a great turn-out! Also saw the 2 lead runners in the marathon.

I am pleased with my chip time of 2:21:33.4. I placed 3386 out of 4254 half marathoners; 259 out of 267 in my age category; and 1595 out of 1770 in gender category. I aimed for 2:30 and at least similar to my fastest marathon time as a walker. Line-ups occurred at each potty so I had to go in the bushes 3 times. Kept hydrated with the water and/or gatorade at each fluid stations. I ate 1 energy bar and most of the pack of Sharkies. The endorphins produced gave me a relaxed and great feeling!

The finish line was great as it wasn't congested (unlike the Sporting Life 10K). Got the time chip removed (and saw the volunteer put it in the bucket so there's no repeat of being accused of not returning the time chip), received my finisher's medal, and the space blanket. The post race food was good. I enjoyed the PowerBar Recovery creamy chocolate shake. Never seen this before and it was delicious. I took 2 more for future use -- will have to see if I can buy these in stores. I also picked up an apple; some nutrigrain bars; and a bagel. Will there be enough food for the full marathoners? Had my photo taken at the finish with the Mississauga banner in the background. The race was also organized as there was a bit of walking to the shuttle buses, but the line-up was long. Fortunately, the wait wasn't that bad. Got back to Square One and then drove home.

Overall, a very positive experience from start to finish. The half marathon race is well organized, fluid stations every 2K, lots of volunteers, people on the sidewalks cheering, police officers, and medics. I can't think of anything I would change in this race! I'm hoping to train for a full marathon next year and will consider Mississauga for my debut as a runner.

Next confirmed race is the HBC 10K on Canada Day. Not sure if I will run any races until then. Rest for a few days before a light run (so I don't forget how to do it!).