Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Monday, May 19, 2008

10:1 (x4) Victoria Day

Lots of sleeping and relaxing this Victoria long-weekend :-) Read in the Toronto Star that England doesn't commemorate Queen Victoria's birthday and this is distinctly Canadian. I guess this weekend also marks the coming of summer. You won't hear me complaining about the unusually cooler weather -- it's 9C as I write! Next weekend is the Ottawa marathon and it looks like cool weather for that race -- which is great considering the hot and humid weather they got a few years ago.

Took advantage of my day off to do a run (although on only 1 day of rest from the LSD). Got in 5.74K this morning going through the Bellwoods-Trinity Park. It's a nice, scenic route. A bit fast on the final 10:1 (x4), for an average of 7:40 minutes/K. Forgot the heart-rate monitor. Also should have brought along some music. Got a few rain drops but that stopped quickly :-) My year to date total is now 343.46K.

Spent lots of time this weekend on the computer -- okay, on the RR forum. I have now 1515 postings, upping the average to 2.52K/day -- I know, I gotta get a life! I love reading and replying to posts -- I learn so much and remain motivated with running. They are an excellent group of on-liners supporting each other.

Having completed the Sporting Life 10K and the Mississauga half marathon, I'm looking forward to the following committed races:
- HBC 10K on Canada Day;
- Nissan 10 miler on July 13;
- Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront half marathon on September 28.

I'm giving serious consideration (still) to the Midsummer Night's 15K Run. Will need to decide by May 31 as the pricing will go up from $49 to $59. There was a moment when I thought of the 30K run (same price) but must remind myself not to be ambitious to avoid injury. http://www.amidsummernightsrun.ca/index.htm

Also, I'm looking at a 3rd half marathon for 2008. After September 28, there are several to choose from. The ideal one is to return for a 3rd year to the Toronto Marathon but that takes place 3 weeks later. It's a downhill decline, which I like. I also thought of the Angus Glen half marathon http://www.angusglenhalfmarathon.com/contact.htm but it's hilly (and I don't like hills). There is the Niagara half marathon on October 26 but a bit far away. What I'm leaning towards is the "Run Ajax" half marathon on October 26 http://www.townofajax.com/Page2174.aspx. It's an inaugral event and the run is along the waterfront in Ajax. What's impressive is the registration is cheap $30 and you get a tech shirt and finisher's medal. Sounds too good to be true, but it's true! Both the Midsummer Night's run and the Ajax half marathon need to be committed by May 31st before the prices go up.

Just ordered another pair of Adrenaline GTS 7 shoes. They are now discontinued so there is a $25 discount. With my 20% off Vectors coupon, the sales price of $114.99 becomes $91.99 + taxes = $103.95. I dug up the receipt from my current shoes and I've been wearing them for 12 months now -- I'll have the RR salesperson have a look at it to see if there is any more mileage left -- which I highly doubt (but no harm asking).
shoes