Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Around the Bay 30 K Race Report



Always challenging to get out of bed on a Sunday morning, it seems :-| After taking the dog on a walk and fed him, left the house at 7:15 AM and made the trek to Hamilton. The highways were great and arrived by 8:30 AM. Forutnately, I read the "Runner's Agenda" and got off at Main Street East (as opposed to York Street) and found a parking lot for $5.00. The 20 cars quickly filled and the lot was then filled. I took a photo while driving with the welcome banner of the ATB 30K:

At the RR booth, bought 2 gels since I learned there would not be any gels given out. Took the change back to the car (had to remember where I parked!) and opted to leave the gloves in the car. Since I sneezed a bit yesterday, chose to keep the toque. Warm-up slow run of 2.55 K and then proceeded to the start line; the warm-up run was important since my legs felt a bit "stiff". The gun was heard rather quickly and then we were off!

The overcast weather held up until the last 2 K but I didn't mind the drizzle. I kept looking at my Garmin since I didn't want to go out too fast -- it's very easy to do that when there are lots of people running. For the first 8K or so, it was crowded. I love this race due to the tradition (e.g., the Pan Alley after the 13 K; the Queen song "We Will Rock You" before the Heartbreak Hill; the Grim Reaper at about the 27K). Rest breaks happened at the fluid stations, which were approximately every 3-4 K. It was great to have some homeowners set a table with bananas and jellybeans after the 20 K. Not the most scenic route but it's great running with so many people. No winds! First 20 K was flat course. The next 5 K was rolling hills and that did take a toll but I successfully ran up the hills -- always love the downhills. A good change from the flat route. Power-walked most of the Heartbreak Hill and did run a bit of it. After that, it was downhill but I didn't have much left. The Grim Reaper had company this year -- I think she's the original Reaper! Downhill until Copps Collesium -- great to see if from afar. Inside the Collesium, and yes, it was steep and could have had an accident. Love crossing the finish line on ice level. Post food was banana, juice box, Rice Crispy Square, Future Valley Granola Bar, and Pita Break Breakfast Pita.

I'm happy that I didn't start too fast (like the Chilly half marathon). Goal was to maintain being below 6:00/K. For the first few Ks, was behind the 3H pace bunny but once I was able to speed up a bit, never saw that pace bunny again. I knew 3H was my PB so I wanted to ensure I'm ready for the Mississauga Full Marathon (which I am!). I enjoyed reading the quote with each K banner. The race went by quickly.

Gun Time = 2:54:44.3
Chip Time = 2:51:51.0
Overall = 2683/5697 (47.1% people had a faster gun time)
Age Category = 300/439
Gender Category = 1881/3014
10 K = 57:09; 15 K = 1:25:06; 20 K = 1:51:58

And Bud proudly wearing the finisher's medal:

YTD = 474.98 K

2 comments:

Tiffa said...

Awesome time! Congrats on the PB!

Boris T said...

First off all congrats on the PB. It looks like your running has really improved over the last little while. The ATb is not a race to be taken lightly and you've done very well in it. Congrats!