Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Friday, January 4, 2008

Walking Errands Day

I walked some errands today. The sidewalks are still icy. I've "enjoyed" my 2 week holiday from teaching -- aargh the snow! My goal was to have been able to run 10K by the Resolution 5K Run but that didn't happen since my running is based on the weather (and I don't have a treadmill at home). I return to work on Monday -- and it's supposed to rain early next week which will certainly clear the snow. Yippie -- hopefully the weather will be cool so I can run on the Martin Goodman Trail.

I've been enjoying the February issue of Runner's World. Interesting article on the Chicago Marathon as well as the death of Ryan Shay. I'm still shocked with both these incidents. The hot and humid weather in Chicago (good thing the race was eventually cancelled as the slower runners and walkers would have needed the fluid stations later in the race) -- that was my fear with the Ottawa marathon this past spring in late May. I still am puzzled how Shay could have died since he was so conditioned. Shay's father mentioned that Ryan had an enlarged heart but the doctors said that wouldn't cause any danger. Shay's father mentioned the possibility of performance-enhancing drugs --with the recent media attention to steroids in baseball, I do wonder if drugs were involved.

Sarah, on the Walking Forum of the Running Room (www.runningroom.com) mentioned that she received the latest issue of Walk! magazine. It's a great quarterly publication with interesting articles -- light but very informative reading. The way I like it!

When I walk the pup, I continue to ponder what races to register in. I will probably wait a few weeks until I register for any (still thinking of taking advantage of the savings from the Canada Running Series www.canadarunningseries.com for signing up for multiple races). As of now, no races until March Break -- the 5K Archilles race. I've e-mailed the race director if there is a finisher's medal but haven't heard back yet.

Now to enjoy the final days of the holidays before back to work.