Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Monday, December 31, 2007

Year in Review!

As today is New Year's Eve, it is opportune to reflect on the year 2007, which contained high and low points. The high point if definitely competing in 17 road races, each providing fond memories. With each race, I found myself bettering previous times. At the Port Perry half marathon in September, Mary Hawthorn introduced herself and mentioned that she has followed my times and noticed that I have gotten faster. Sue Henderson, my on-line marathon clinic instructor, says that I have gotten stronger. Such remarks mean a lot.

As a walker, I completed:

  • 3 marathons (Mississauga; Toronto Waterfront; Hamilton)
  • a 30K (ATB)
  • 4 half marathons (Chilly; Hartwell; Port Perry; Toronto)
  • 3 10K (Sporting Life; Toronto Island; Don River)
  • 1 8K (Alfie Schrubb)
  • 1 5K (Harry's Spring-Off)

As a runner, I completed:

  • 1 10K (HBC Canada Day)
  • 1 8K (Night Crawler)
  • 2 5K (Toronto Challenge; Resolution)

Another highlight was meeting some "super stars" in the running world (i.e., John "The Penguin" Bingham; Kathrine Switzer; John Stanton; and Karl Gruber). At the Toronto Challenge in June, I had my picture taken with #93, Doug Gilmour, who I watched play for the Toronto Maple Leafs when I was in university. Road racing is so inclusive since at the front of the starting line are the elite athletes (some as far away as Kenya), those attempting to Boston Qualify (BQ), while others such as myself who are in there for fitness. I forgot where I read that a marathon is the only sport that allows for such inclusivity.

Completing my first marathon in Mississauga can be considered both a high and low point. It wasn't easy to complete it. But I enjoyed the months of LSDs on the Martin Goodman Trail (out for up to 6 hours). As my maximum endurance was 34K, I did question if I could successfully complete a marathon; that doubt continued to exist with an "inner voice" during the actual marathon. My supporters during the almost 6.5 hours "out there" were the volunteers, police, and medics. I appreciate the volunteers who clapped; who cheered; who pointed where I should head (especially when the pilons were removed); and of course the volunteer at about the 35K who had some bananas and oranges remaining (some of the fluid stations were already closed). It was discouraging to be told by the police to head to the sidewalk and see the K markers being taken down. According to my Garmin, I was within the time limit of 6.5 hours. The Mississauga community seemed to embrace the marathon as everyone was supportive. Even the teenager out on his porch said, "Wow, only a few more kilometres to go." Everyone in the community seemed to know about the marathon. Unfortunately, it was a lonely journey after the half and full marathoners diverged at about the 14K; I was mostly on the road by myself. I did pass by 2 racers and saw the marathoners about 7K ahead of me race in the opposite direction. Other than that, it was lonely. As I continued to persevere (or is the word "struggled"?) to the finish line, I was waiting for the photographer to take a picture for my scrapbook. Unfortunately, there was none. In fact, there wasn't anyone left to clap, nobody to receive my finisher's medal, and no food except water. After asking around for someone to remove my time chip and receive my medal, I "blindly" figured out a way back to the mall where my car was parked. To make matters worse, I was accused of not returning my time chip. This went on for the next 6 months (!). This is how I felt making my way to the finish line:

I had a much more positive marathon experience at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, which is arguably my favourite race of the year. I love the flat route (Martin Goodman Trail) and the weather was great. Racewalker, Sarah, brought my concerns of being a lonely walker to rest when she mentioned that there will be quite a few people left near the end with me. She was right -- unlike Mississauga, there were plenty of walkers and runners in the 30K to the finish line. I was so pleased that there was no "inner voice" providing self-doubt. This would have been what I consider a "perfect" race except the finisher's medal was very disappointing.

Another high and low point was becoming a runner. My inagural race as a runner provided confidence that I could run (okay, slowly as a "shuffler" but it's still running as John Bingham would say!). My favourite race as a runner was the 10K HBC on Canada Day. The route was also the Martin Goodman Trail and I was estatic to have completed the 10K. The low point was having to DNS at the Nissan 10 Miler as my last run was in rain and I developed Runner's Knee. The 10 miler was a first year race with a wonderful looking medal. I was so disappointed but knew I couldn't even walk to pick up my bib - there will be other races. Keeping my spirits up, I continued to train as a walker (after a family physician prescribed medication for the inflammation). After the Hamilton marathon, I returned to running. I promised myself to take it slow. I found the Athlete's Care at the Toronto marathon expo and made an appointment to see a sports medicine doctor. Originally diagnosed with ITB by a family doctor, the sports medicine doctor said it was Runner's Knee and provided me with a couple of exercises as well as recommendation for custom orthodics. Yesterday, I completed the 5K Resolution race as a runner and I'm eyeing the Mississauga half marathon as my debut as a runner in the 21.1K. There is hope as the sports medicine doctor suggested phsiotherapy if the orthodics don't take away from the runner' knee pain; 50% chance but so far so good!

Overall, it's been a fantastic year of ups and downs -- or hills and valleys. I have met some wonderful racers, enjoyed the supportive colleagues on the RR forum, and reached my goal of a marathon (ended up with 3). I look forward to 2008. May it be as great (or better) than 2007. Currently, I ponder which races to enter for 2008. Is it the route? the finisher's medal? the tech shirt? the food? Because of having to deal with runner's knee, I think the key component for me will be route -- I'm looking to mainly flat routes.