Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Aargh -- the Weather!!

Woke up at 9:30 am today, took the pup on his walk, and then wanted to run after the pup came home and was fed his breakfast. With the "wet snow" coming down quite heavily, memories of the Nissan 10 Miler race came to mind...it was only days before that race back in July that I ran in the rain for the first (and only) time. I got injured and haven't run until a month ago. Guess it was the way my foot landed in rain that caused the runner's knee. I so desperately wanted that inaugral medal for that race but couldn't even walk it -- not to mention walking to pick up my registration package would have been a challenge. So...with only days until the Resolution 5K run and with the "wet snow" coming down, I wasn't going to have another injury -- am I just being superstitious?? Call me what you must but I wasn't going to risk it. So, I walked 8.68K instead (according to my Garmin). I'll save the run for this Sunday. Need to remember to visit the RR to pick up my bib and jacket before Sunday. I can now run 5K (using 5:1) and had the weather been nicer, I would have liked it to be more. Oh well...

I've updated a list of races I'm eyeing for the new year in my Blog. One in particular, Midsummer's Night, caught my liking. It takes place on Saturday, August 16th and has a 15K walk; 15K run; and 30K run. If all goes well, I want to register in the 15K run, which starts at 6:30 pm. It's an evening race along part of the Toronto Scotiabank Waterfront route. http://www.amidsummernightsrun.ca/images/maps/15kmap.pdf It's going to be dark since racers must wear a clip-on blinker (as mandated by the city). The price is $49 before May 31st so I'll make my mind up after Mississauga. The 30K route looks great but I'm not going to push it -- maybe a goal for 2009. http://www.amidsummernightsrun.ca/images/maps/30kmap.pdf If I do that, I'll get a Moretal pin! Sounds like a great event -- I remember a few people on the Running Room forum sharing their experiences of this race last year and it was positive. If I sign up for this race, that'll mean no HSBC 10K at the Toronto Island. That was an enjoyable race last summer as I was the only person who walked it (and came 2nd last).