Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Run #3 - Coooold Outside!

Wow, it's cold outside: -9C but -15C with windchill. 680 News radio station is warning us of a "big winter storm in Southern Ontario" but the freezing rain is of greater concern than the snow. Since outside is dry, I did my run today. I set my Garmin for 5:1 intervals (x5) and covered a distance of 4.18K in 30 minutes. In an ideal world, I would have trained on the Martin Goodman Trail but I didn't want to fathom what the weather would feel like at the lake (I did that once and it was cold!). The only advantage of running in the winter I can think of is I don't have to wake up early in the morning (since that's often challenge) -- it's actually better for me to run in the afternoon when it gets a bit warmer. Training is progressing and I feel greatly rewarded. I'm only thinking of reaching 5K and then 10K. The half marathon distance sounds daunting to me and I'm not going to stress over it. If all goes well, I'll register for the Mississauga Marathon in the spring. Time will tell...

Only 1 month until the RR Resolution 5K Run and I'm looking forward to it :-) Can't wait to pick up the RR jacket that comes with registration -- super deal that comes with the $40 registration fee. Today was the 5K Santa Shuffle -- I didn't do it since I'm not ready to run a 5K yet. I guess Xmas should feel like winter so today it was ideal. Message to the weather gods: Please provide us with cool and sunny weather for December 30th. Thank you :-)