Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Race Report -- 5K Resolution Run ^_^

Ran the 5K Resolution Run in Toronto this morning. Great day for a run as the weather behaved with no snow (yeah!); was cloudy; and about 0C. I heard on the radio yesterday that we're getting flurries tonight (2 cm), tomorrow (up to 10 cm :-O ), and more flurries on New Year's Day. It worked out well for the date change by the City of Toronto ;-) [as an aside -- how am I going to do my next run???]

The 5K walk and run began at 9:30 am in the Distillery Historic District (Parliament and Front Streets.). I arrived with about 5 minutes left as I had to walk slightly over 3K to the start line, which I used as my warm-up (in addition to taking the pup for his morning walk). The event was sold out a few weeks ago, which also happened in most sites -- guess it was due to the excellent deal with the jacket. Always a pleasure to receive something different from a tech shirt (but I'll take the tech shirt if offered!). I set my Garmin for 10:1 (x4) since I felt warmed up and ready to go. I retied my shoe laces and went near the end of the start line.

The route was the same as last year. We left the Distillery District, heading north on Trinity Street, east on Front St. E, south on Cherry Street, headed back up north when we reached the Gardiner Expy W, Cherry turned into Sumach St., then east on King St. E., north on Bayview Ave., U-turn heading south on Bayview, west on King St., south on Trinity St (past the Enoch Turner School house); and to the finish line.

My Garmin said I completed 4.87K in 34:57, averaging 7:11 min/K. It was fantastic to be running in road races again. The custom orthodics have helped and they are no longer uncomfortable to wear. The race was well organized -- the start; the volunteers; the police patrolling the roads. My only disappointments were the post race food and no water stations along the route (good thing I continue to bring my own water) -- there was only bottled water, coffee, hot chocolate, and cookies at the finish line. I was so looking forward to a banana :~) as I didn't want to eat the junk food.

The route and jacket were worth the $40 registration fee. There was discussion on the RR forum if this race was worth the $40 considering it is a steep fee for a 5K. I checked out some other races and they charge between $20 to $40. I will wear the jacket during the spring to work -- will continue to wear my $79.99 jacket during training. During the run this morning, I did think of what races to enter for 2008, although I have signed up for none yet. There is a discount at with the Canada Running Series www.canadarunningseries.com for registering for several races but I continue debating whether the $15 or $20 savings is really worth it considering the possibility of injury and having to back out. I still remember the 10 miler Nissan race last year (injured) and the Ottawa Marathon (couldn't go since Bud was brought home).

My last race of 2007 is done! I will post a reflection of the past year of walking and running in my blog very soon and look ahead to 2008.