Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Saturday, April 19, 2008

10:1 (x14)

Beautiful weather in Toronto on this Saturday morning -- +18C, sunny, warm. I mistakenly set my Garmin for 10:1 (x14) rather than for 10:1 (x13). I figured that out when I was nearly the end of my run. Total distance ran today was 20.39K; 7:33 minutes/K; 151 BPM. Overall, a great run and I am ready for the Mississauga half marathon. I will begin to tamper until the actual race on Mother's Day.

Knowing that I did a short run yesterday, the first hour was ran very slowly. The last thing I needed was an injury. I brought along an iPod for the first time this year, listening to music in my right ear only and allowing my left ear to hear the surroundings. That worked out really well as I found the time to go quicker. I brought along my usual 500 mL of spring water and 500 mL of Gatorade orange (bought a case of 24 bottles on special last week at No Frills on special). After my run, I had to stop at Shopper's Drug Mart to buy 700 mL of Gatorade as what I had was not enough. I also brought along an energy bar and "Sharkies" (they're like wine gum and worked nicely). I believe I bought the pack for $1.99 at Shopper's Drug Mart a while back -- regular price is $2.49. I had about 5 left in the pack and brought them home. Unfortunately, while I was getting Bud fresh water, he had stolen the rest. I hope it won't upset his stomach. I'll need to be more careful in the future with leaving food around.

Lots of runners and walkers out on the Martin Goodman Trail this morning. I'm glad I started off very slowly and only sped up after an hour. No problems today (thank goodness). Great to be able to wear a tech shirt and shorts (did that yesterday as well). As I said, listening to music in 1 ear really made the time go quickly. Good cool breeze out there near the lake. Just forgot to wear sunscreen so I imagine I got sunburn being 2.5 hours in the sun. Didn't have to go to the washroom at all. Got a good "cool down" by walking for about 30 minutes back home to get the pulse rate down. Did feel hungry all day and ate quite a bit.

Hope to do short runs on Tuesday and Thursday this upcoming week (with a shorter LSD on either Saturday or Sunday). The weather person on the radio says it will be rainless for the next 5 days. It's so nice to have the spring weather finally arrive. There was a snog alert today, though.

Overall, a great week, with a total of 30.79K. Since January 1st, I have run a total distance of 241.61K. I'm part of the 1000K club on the Running Room forum. Many people have reached half way. I highly doubt I will reach the 1000K goal this year but getting 2/3 of the goal, without injury, will make me estatic.

---
An article appeared in the April 14, 2008 issue of the Toronto Star on "Runner's High": http://healthzone.ca/health/article/414155

--
A cartoon found at http://www.runtheplanet.com/community/humor/cartoons.asp: