Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Thursday - Run replaced with H1N1 shot

Thursday's run was replaced with the H1N1 flu shot. This past week Wednesday was the first day in the GTA that the shot was being given to anyone. I went Wednesday at 7 PM and there was a sign that said they are full (as the shots end at 8 PM). I went immediately after work on Thursday and was in and out in about an hour [heard on 680 News that the wait is currently 30 minutes]. No worries as I brought along a geography textbook to read and make notes [I am teaching grade 9 applied geography to my Alternative Education class]

I found the organization to be great. Once I entered the building, I was asked if I currently have a flu or are alergic to eggs. Then I was given a ticket (#531) and asked to proceed to a room with a lot of seats to wait for my number to be called as well as complete the consent form. The wait was about 40 minutes. Then we lined up briefly to enter the room where the shots would be given. The security guard took the ticket number and gave some antibacterial hand lotion. Then I went to register, showing my health card and driver's license. Then it was another brief line-up for the actual shot. There were at least 10 booths to get the shot. The shot went on my left arm and didn't hurt at all. I was asked to sit for 15 minutes before leaving (to ensure no reaction). There were also 2 paramedics giving the shots -- guess they were present just in case there is a reaction and hospital attention needed to be given. Upon leaving, I received a letter documenting the shot had been given.

Thus, no run Thursday...there's an excuse ;-)

No comments: