Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Wanted to Run the Half in Toronto Marathon...

Today was my convocation from York University and I must admit my disappointment when I found it the 2 events were happening at the same time. I checked last year's convocation schedule and the math folks graduated on the Saturday. The Toronto Marathon is a special race for me since it was my first half marathon. It's amazing how my running has evolved. I was a walker and "accidently" signed up for the 5 K at Scotiabank Waterfront, as part of the Epilepsy Team (who paid for registration). When I reached the finish line, I saw those beautiful shinny silver medals and wanted one, only to be told they are for the half marathon finishers. That's when I registered to walk the half marathon 3 weeks later. I even took the subway to Mel Lastman Square and walked south on Yonge to Queen's Park -- just to see that I could do it...the distance does seem long on a map.

During convocation this morning, I thought of the half marathon I wanted so desperately to run. There will be next year...I hope to make my "A" race the Toronto (full) Marathon next year. Weather was a bit cold at the start but sunny and amazing.