Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Monday, August 24, 2009

Getting Ready for Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Full Marathon

Wow - Saturday night was tough to sleep. The aching legs. It's my left hip that "hurt" during the LSDs and during the 30 K run on Saturday during the second half. My work insurance provides $750 a year in massage and I got a doctor note's for massage back in the March Break but never had the time to use it. It's so nice to be able to just sit and do nothing during the month of August before preparing for the new school year.

A couple of things I learned from the 30 K Midsummer's Night Run:

1.) Monitor the hip and see a sports medicine doctor if need be;
2.) Energy gels - I opted at the last minute not to bring one since I didn't have pockets in my running shorts and used the safety pins to secure my car key;
3.) During the latter part of the race, it really is about mental toughness. I had to keep thinking of the medal, how the discomfort is only temporary and a 3H finish is forever.
4.) One man who was running with 2 women (probably their coach) reminded them to keep their head up, look far, relaxed posture -- I had to take that free advice as a reminder to self.

I like the downhill decline of the Mississauga Marathon and wonder how running a full marathon on a flat course will feel. I recall walking the full marathon a couple of years ago and had to run the last 2 K since I just couldn't walk it anymore.



It's time to look forward to my next race, the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront full Marathon. This is my favourite race and has a special place in my heart as it the 5 K race a few years ago was my first ever. I came across the race attending the Buskerfest at the St. Lawrence Market. They were giving complimentary 5 K registrations and I signed up. On race morning, I was so intimidated to walk in the race; even at the race, I gave lots of thoughts of walking back home. But I didn't and that's a great decision! I did walk the 5 K and saw the wonderful looking medals at the finish line. I asked the volunteer how to get one and was told it was for the half and full marathon finishers; that's when I signed up to walk the 21.1 K Toronto half marathon a month later. The rest is history.


I've browsed the Toronto Waterfront marathon web site and it's amazing how the full marathon route has changed over the years - i.e., the Leslie Street Spit. I like the improved look!




There will be a 20th year poster on sale, which includes the cool map route on it. I hope the booth that sells running posters is there again this year as I want to buy a poster that I regretted not getting last year. Love that expo! Also looking forward to having my picture taken with the celebrities and adding that to my blog. The guest speaker talks are always interesting. Love this race.