Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Race Report: Midsummer Night's Run 15K

Did the Midsummer Night's Run 15K tonight. It's my 2nd evening race, with the Night Crawler 5 Miler from last year being the first. I'm pleased with the e-mail updates and the instructions at the bib pick-up. I arrived at the parking lot at 4:30 pm and then did a warm-up run to McLeary Park, where the race will start. I was surprised to see some cars parked across the street from the Park -- no problem since the $10 parking pass went to the Sick Children's Hospital. It was only a couple of kilometres so I continued my warm-up on Commissioner's Road. Got in 4.61 K and then went to pick up my time chip (it was an ankle velcro) and the blinker (I ended having to get another one since my wasn't blinking). Water and Gatorade was set up already and I had 3 cups of Gatorade (they were 1/2 full). While waiting for the start, I walked around. I am impressed with the number of racers in this sold out event. There was a change of plans and the 30Ks started first. Then the 15K runners and walkers went next.

We ran south from McLeary Park, headed west a bit and then east towards Tommy Thompson Park along Commissioner's Road. I did step on a small pothole (!). I must admit I went out faster than anticipated -- probably since I already did a warm-up run and the 15K distance was shorter than my weekly LSD. It was a bit crowded at the beginning. Lots of power and race walkers -- they were fast!

After running about 2K, we entered Tommy Thompson Park. The sun was going down. Similar route to that of the Nissan 10 Miler and the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon. Water and Gatorade stations were about every 3K and I drank Gatorade whenever I could. I wore my black running shorts without pockets so I didn't bring any fuel along.

The next 10K were in Tommy Thompson Park. Scenic route as I enjoyed the sights of the lake and to the east, the CN Tower. We ran through gravel as well as rocky surfaces -- one lady nearly tripped on a rock. Fortunately it didn't rain as it would have been absolutely muddy (and disgusting). I was careful running past a bridge and then had to run uphill for a bit. During this part of the run, it was peaceful and the racers had spread out. The turnaround was the lighthouse. Over head were birds making the V-formation. I checked my Garmin whenever there was a K marker for my pacing to ensure I wasn't going too fast. I got into a routine and groove and looked forward to each minute walk. Unlike other races, I didn't have a lot of "steam" left over at the end. It got darker at the end of the race -- but not totally dark.

This is the first race where my Garmin distance is less than the race distance -- okay, it's only 0.01K less. My average pacing was 6.03 min/K and average heart rate 172 bpm (that was high due to the increased pacing). Using the spectacular 10:1 intervals, my pacing for the runs were:

6:13 min/K;
6:03 min/K;
5:55 min/K;
5:59 min/K;
6:05 min/K;
5:46 min/K;
5:48 min/K;
5:38 min/K;
5:05 min/K.

I did skip my final minute walk break since there was 0.75 K left. I did hear the cow bell and thought of Sue Henderson, my marathon walk instructor who couldn't walk this race due to an injury.

Chip Time = 1:30:44.1

Standing = 264 out of 623 runners
Gender = 132 out of 196
Age = 44 out of 60

The post food was great. Vector bars; bananas; bagels (only poppy seed -- but fresh and crunchy!); water and Gatorade. There were also left over Mega Wraps and I had a tuna. Basically had "dinner" and left full!

Walked back to the parking lot -- really seems like a long distance -- but again I ran to the Park several hours earlier. The 15K was fun but I'm sure the 30K would be even better as you would be running in the dark. My concern was the strict 10:30 pm cut-off. With another year of running, I should be ready for that. The hard part of running on rocky surface in Tommy Thompson Park is still day light so that will be fine. Running through Ashbridge's Bay Park and Beaches Park would be neat.

Rest day tomorrow!

YTD = 759.32 K.
And photos of the HEAVY finisher's medal: