Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, October 28, 2007

One Week Before Hamilton Marathon!

As usual, I woke up late on the weekend -- today 8:30 am. I have come to the conclusion that unless I must wake up (e.g., for work, for a race) then I will sleep in. I had a "brilliant" idea to get out of bed at 7:30 am to give the pup his washroom break and then return to bed, with the pup in the same room (Bud and I sleep in separate rooms). Two words -- Bad Idea! Bud jumped on my bed and licked my face. After I got him off my bed repeatedly, he got back up and eventually brought his bone to the bed as well. All that biting was annoying. Aaargh!! -- I need sleep! It's hard to share a bed with a 35 pound canine (and he's still growing) who just wants his early morning walk. He eventually won the battle and I got out of bed and gave him his walk. Once again, he affirmed who's in charge :-

After visiting the dentist to get my teeth cleaned this afternoon...I don't want to talk about it...okay, I must have 1 of my wisdom teeth removed since the neighbouring teeth has a cavity (!). The dentist continued to "scare" me as I might need a root canal if the bacteria has gotten into the nerve. Timely since it's Hallowe'en...one word: Spooky. Tell me this is a nightmare.

The good news is that I got in a 10K walk after the horrific news about my teeth. Sunny and quite cool this afternoon (I guess I can sleep in nowadays and train during the afternoons). This will be my last "long" slow distance before next Sunday's marathon in Hamilton. I checked the web site and there are currently a total of 1931 registered for the various distances. It's a small race but I shouldn't be lonely on the course as there is a 1.5 hour early start for the marathon walkers and slow runners. Eventually, the fast runners will catch up. I just hope the weather cooperates next week. The finishers' medal is a squirrel. I wonder why a squirrel... A few weeks ago, Bud had a dead squirrel in his mouth -- yuck!

Yesterday, I signed up for the Resolution Run 5K in Toronto. There are sites all across Canada on either New Year's Eve or on New Year's day. I did this race last year and it wasn't timed -- but you get some free gifts - last year it included a vest (I found it very thin). This year it's a jacket. I didn't know what size to sign up for so I selected Large. I might want to change it to a medium -- I should e-mail the Running Room with a query. Gotta run (okay, walk) -- wait, I used that line yesterday! I need to e-mail the Running Room...