Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Day Before Hamilton Marathon

Tomorrow, the inaugral Hamilton Marathon, will be my 3rd marathon this year -- the racing "bug" certainly got to me. I signed up for this race way back in the spring with the free water belt as the deciding factor (which I have never worn) since I always carry my water. Otherwise, I would have signed up for the Angus Glen half marathon and then feast at the lunch buffet. When I took the marathon on-line clinic in preparation for the Mississauga marathon, my instructor, Sue, suggested I wear a waterbelt. She was surprised (shocked?) to see me holding onto a water bottle during my marathon debut. For tomorrow's race, I will strive to enjoy the race and finish within the 7 hour time limit -- not looking for a personal best. The race starts at 7:30 am tomorrow -- a 1.5 hour early start for those finishing over 5 hours. I've checked out the route at http://www.hamiltonmarathon.ca/raceroutes/hamiltonmarathonmarathonrace.gif and it really means nothing to me as I am not familar with Hamilton. Oh well...as long as the route is clearly marked, I will be okay. Nothing will beat the amazing experience I had at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront marathon.

Today I walked 9.2K to fulfill a few errands. I visited the local Running Room to try on the jackets for appropriate size that will be given out with the bib for the December 31st Resolution 5K Run. Back in the spring, I paid $79.99 + taxes minus 20% for a Running Room jacket. The jacket given out for the Resolution Race will certainly be one that I can use :-)

If all goes as planned, tomorrow's marathon race will be my last as a walker for the time being. I hope to run the 5K at the Resolution race on New Year's eve and will be wearing orthodics -- my first running race since the HBC 10K Run on Canada Day. I am eyeing the Tim Horton's Chilly half marathon run but will register as late as possible to ensure the run is a possibility (i.e., no injury; sufficient training during the winter -- please, weather gods, not too much snow this winter!).

I have selected the tech shirt I will wear for tomorrow's race -- it'll be the same shirt I wore at the Toronto Scotiabank Waterfront marathon on September 30th -- the Mississauga Marathon tech shirt. I will have jogging pants on, my mesh cap. I still haven't finalized whether I'll wear my Running Room jacket since I'll be "out there" for over 6 hours -- I might decide at the last minute tomorrow morning when I get out of the car in Hamilton (shock).

Finished carbo-loading and drinking well today. All ready for tomorrow. Now to sleep early and set the alarm -- and to remember to turn the clock back an hour.

Louis