Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Race Report - Toronto Marathon Race

I competed in my 6th half marathon as a walker this morning. I finished with a chip time of 2:41:07.8 but my official time is 3:02:44.9. Although I was hoping for a chip time of under 2:40 (since I did the Port Perry half marathon with lots of hills in 2:42, today's time is still a PB.

I arrived at the Toronto Hilton hotel on Richmond and University this morning at 6:55 am. I was not happy to see the long line-up. This is surprising since last year, I boarded instantly and there were about 8 school buses lined up ready to take people. The line moved very slowly and I finally boarded the school bus at 7:40 am. The bus driver took us up Yonge Street which also gave a view of the race course. He did his best to get us to the race as quickly as possible as he even went through several red lights. I mistakingly thought the start line was on Yonge Street (like last year) but wasted about 5 minutes walking a couple of blocks to get to the start line. I finally walked past the start line at 8:20 (20 minutes late).

The first 5K of the race was quite lonely as the majority of half marathon racers already begun. At 8:55 am, I noticed the last (?) school bus going up Yonge Street. Wow -- 55 minutes late. There needs to be serious consideration by the race organizers next year to get everyone to the start line on time. People on my bus thought the half marathon would have a delayed start (I thought so too). But it didn't.

I started the race too quickly and paid for it in the final 5K as my legs were no longer wanting to power walk. Once I caught up with the walkers, it was nice to be surrounded by like-minded people. I enjoyed the downhill route (down Yonge Street; down Rosedale Valley) and am glad Hoggs Hallow was within the first 5K (at York Mills and Yonge). I was amazed at the number of police officers hired to direct traffic -- they did a great job. The route got changed this year and we went through St. Lawrence Market (rather than go under the Gardner Expressway). I also like racing on Wellington since once you reach University Avenue, it's not that much up north (compared to starting at the Gardner and heading north). Very nice looking finsiher's medal!

The weather was ideal for racing. The radio last night stated there would be rain in the morning but fortunately only a few rain drops came down. The overcast weather was welcomed and the 8C race conditions was also good -- unlike starting at 0C last year and having to wear a winter coat!

Had it not been for the IT-band, I would have hoped to make my half marathon debut as a runner today. That will have to wait until the spring (hopefully). I would love to walk the (full) marathon today - not only do you go down Yonge Street but you also race in the Castle Loma neighbourhood as well as the Martin Goodman Trail. Only issue is the 6 hour time limit, which discourages walkers.

My next race is 3 weeks away -- the (full) marathon in Hamilton on Sunday, November 4th. I'm not looking for a PB, just to finish and enjoy the scenery. I already completed my "A" race this year (Scotiabank marathon). After that, I hope to deal with the IT-band using a sports doctor and then train as a runner again. I did experience "walker's high" today. I want to also experience "runner's high".

The race results for the half marathon walk can be found at http://www.sportstats.ca/res2007/torontohaw.htm

Louis