Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS) -- aka "Runner's Knee"

Back in mid-July, I had an inflammed left knee. Unfortunately, I had built up my running endurance from 0K to 15K too quickly - I now can appreciate the meaning of not increasing one's endurance by more than 10% a week. I was so disappointed with the injury since I was only 1/2 week away from the Nissan 10 Miler race in the Distillery District -- I was going to make my 10 miler debut as a runner! Everything had gone well for my 10K HBC run on Canada Day. When the pain remained (especially going up and down stairs) on race morning, I went back to bed. Plan B was to walk the 10 miles but walking even 1 mile was questionable. I wanted the finishers' medal but knew finishing the race would have resulted in further injury. I went to a walk-in clinic the next day and the physician noticed my inflammed left knee and prescribed some pills for me. I showed the doctor a few Internet articles of IT-band I printed off and the doctor suggested some of the exercises. He believed I had IT-band but couldn't confirm it.

At the Toronto Marathon expo this past weekend, I talked with the rep at the "Athlete's Care: For Sports & Recreational Injuries" booth. I was glad I did as I could book an appointment with a sports medicine physician who would look at my knee to confirm if it is IT-band and then recommend treatment. The rep said if it is indeed IT-band, message therapy work -- but it is painful but the message therapist would work with my tolerance level.

I phoned the sports clinic yesterday at 8:00 am and was pleasantly surprised that there was a cancelled appointment for 4:45 pm. The next available appointment would have been in 2 weeks. Coincidentally, I had a coffee get-together with a former teaching colleague. I'm glad she understood the situation! I had to make a stop at the Walmart near work to buy a pair of shorts.

After examining my knees, the doctor diagnosed me with Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS), which meant nothing to me. He explained that it is a common condition for runners. He said I have flat feet (I knew that from the helpful salespeople at the Running Room who fitted me into my shoes). He said treatment would consist of getting "medically prescribed custom made or fitted orthotics due to pes planus & midfoot pronation causing PFPS" (that's on my prescription sheet) as well as a couple of stretches. Fortunately one of the sports medicine physicians can make the orthotics for me. And I've been doing stretches to help the IT-band since July :-

I confirmed today with my health plan benefits that I am covered for "one pairs of orthotics every three years when prescribed and dispensed by a medical doctor". Thank goodness as the price tag is $400. I hope I don't lose it (but not sure how that would happen). My appointment is in 2 weeks :-)

I found some of the stretches the doctor recommended on the Internet: http://iach.amedd.army.mil/sections/clinics/physicalTherapy/pdf/PATELLOFEMORAL-PAIN-SYNDROME.pdf. Another good web site is from Runner's World: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--7773-0,00.html

The doctor said that the stretches and the orthotics will treat the PFPS. I'm thrilled! After I walk the marathon on November 4th, I will take a break before beginning my training as a runner again. This time, I will increase the endurance by a maximum of 10% per week (I've put that in writing!) and will use the 10:1 technique (that is, for every 10 minutes running, 1 minute walking break). I'm eyeing the Chilly Half Marathon on Sunday, March 4th in Burlington, with shorter distance runs such as the 5K Resolution race on New Year's Eve (free jacket this year!). My first half marathon run will be very special.

While driving home from work today, I thought about the races I competed this year and what to register for next year. I am going to be selective and emphasize running on flat courses (rather than hilly courses which the knees may protest with).