Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Monday, October 22, 2007

Sunday's Long Slow Distance (LSD)

Yesterday was amazing weather for a long slow distance (LSD) walk! Record temperature was set in Toronto at 25C for an October 21st. Wow! Similar type weather conditions today. If only everyday was like yesterday and today.

I got out of bed at 7:00 am yesterday and took the pup on his early morning walk. I always seem to have a difficulty getting out of bed on the weekend -- but yesterday I was determined. After feeding the pup breakfast (he's never picky as he eats the same thing each day) and myself eating a bagel, I was off. I haven't been to the Martin Goodman Trail since completing the marathon at Scotiabank Toronto on September 30th. I was in good company with many runners, walkers, bicyclists on the trail. It's a flat course right beside Lake Ontario. I enjoyed the cool breeze of the fall -- and no humidity! In addition to water, I took along Cytomax Lite raspberry iced tea flavour. I bought the 680 g container of crystals from the Scotiabank Toronto expo for a bargin price of $10. I forgot to bring along a couple of energy bars. I also didn't wear my IT-band strap -- not sure why since I don't have IT-band. I completed 25K, taking 4 hours, 2 minutes, 3 seconds. I no longer wear earphones "out there" and had lots of time to think about schooling, work, and life. Had to stretch a few times in the journey as I could feel the knee cap -- where's that IT-band? This was a bit strange but I feel ready to walk the marathon in Hamilton in a couple of weeks. Not looking for a personal best -- just to complete the 42.2K in the allotted 7 hour time limit as a walker. It'll be my 3rd marathon!

I see the sports medicine doctor on November 12th for custom-made orthodics. I need to remember to perform my knee strengthening exercises. Then, I will begin training as a runner again. I'm eyeing the Resolution Run on New Year's eve (5K). I'm going to take it slow and not build up the endurance too quickly (i.e., maximum 10% increase per week). I learned my lesson from being injuried back in July -- days before making my debut as a 10 mile runner. I can't wait to return to running. My goal is to run a half marathon in 2008. I would prefer a flat course since downhill takes a toll on the kneecaps. The Tim Hortons' Chilly half marathon in early March might be a possibility -- I won't sign up unless I know I can run the distance -- but need to becareful as this race fills up quickly. Who knows, I may make the Scotiabank Toronto my debut as a marathon runner. But that might be too ambitious. The 6 letter word comes to mind I - N - J- U - R - Y.

I'm using a Garmin sports watch to track my mileage, pacing, and time. It's an amazing watch with a GPS system. I purchased the watch back in the spring and notice many runners and walkers wearing it (or other versions). In total, I have walked and ran a distance of 790.6K in 128 hours, 36 minutes. Unfortunately, that doesn't include the 21.1K I walked at the Port Perry half marathon as the Garmin didn't work for whatever reason.

While walking home, I stopped by a place that sells "YoPro" frozen yogurt. There was a booth at the Toronto Marathon expo that gave out samples. Expensive ($6.99 for 500 mL) but soooo good. It tastes like Wendy's Frosty.

After loading up on the carbs and giving the pup his lunch (same as breakfast but 20% the amount), I did some school work. A few hours later, I drove the pup to High Park. I guess everyone thought like me on this warm autumn day as finding a parking spot was a challenge. I had to park, like others did, on the road. After 30 minutes of walking in the park, we returned to the car. I noticed the car ahead of me had a $105 parking ticket from a couple of hours before. Good thing I didn't get a ticket. High Park is very "hilly" and I had to becareful as I my kneecaps may not have agreed with the hills. The pup tends to want to drive the car as I need to remind him of his seat in the car. Here's a photo of Bud with a new toy mouse on his 7th month on this planet (today):


Currently my bed time reading is Walk! Magazine as well as John Bingham's Courage to Start. I met John at the Scotiabank Toronto expo. He's calls himself a penguin since he's a slow runner. He writes a column in the Runners' World and has convinced many that running doesn't have to be fast.