Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Toronto Marathon Expo

I'm walking the half marathon tomorrow at the Toronto Marathon. I picked up my bib yesterday (#9002) and am the second walker to sign up for the race as a walker. I think there are a couple of hundred walkers in the half marathon! During on-line registration, I selected a small tech shirt size and the lady in charge would not let me change the size - now I have a goal to lose weight to fit into that tech shirt! I registered for this race in late January in order to be one of the first 2000 to receive a Running Room tech shirt. Here are a few of my highlights from the expo:

I met the authors of 26.2 Marathon Stories, Kathrine Switzer and Roger Robinson yesterday. I remembered to bring my copy for autographs. I was so inspired talking with Kathrine (I called her a "legend") that I hugged her and shook her hand. What an amazing human being - she was the first female to officially register in the Boston Marathon - as "S. V. Switzer". Within the first 2 miles, the race organizer who travelling in a car, lost his temper and tried to push Switzer off the race course. The race organizer was elbow checked by Switzer's boyfriend (230+ pound football player). Since the media was trailing the race organizer, they took pictures which then caused outrage. Switzer went on to finish the race. Switzer said that there was only one outcome in competing in the Boston marathon - to finish at whatever cost - to do otherwise would reiterate that women could not compete in the marathon. Switzer told me the race director and her had a "hate-relationship" for 6 years before they made up. Because of her, she organized marathons around the world for women and saw the olympics having women compete in the marathon. She signed my book, with "Louis! Go make your own history now!" on page 93, the infamous photo of her altercation with the race director. Just goes to show that one person can indeed make a difference! Here's a photo with me with legends Roger Robinson and Kathrine Switzer:
I also remembered to bring one of John Stanton's books for an autograph. I enjoyed talking with the founder of the Running Room and he gave me some tips on how to deal with the IT-band. As an aside, after completing my first marathon (I walked the 42.2K in the Mississauga Marathon), I built my endurnace from 0K to 15K. Days before the 10 Miler Nissan race, I went to a walk-in clinic where the doctor diagnosed me with IT-band (my left knee was clearly inflammed). To this day, I stretch the band with "The Stick" but don't think it has "gotten rid" of the problem.


Fortunately, there was a booth at the expo which treats sports and recreational injuries. They have sports doctors (no family doctor referral) and OHIP covers its cost. From that diagnosis, there is treatment to get to the root of the problem (e.g., massage). The good news is there are 4 locations in Toronto and the wait is about 2 weeks. I'll have to check to see my health plan will pay for the treatments. The physiotherapist manning the booth said that treatment could be a couple of massages a week for about 6 weeks - depends on the individual though. I've been warned it will be painful (but has to be to get to the root of the problem). Had it not been for the IT-band, my goal for tomorrow would have been to run the half marathon. After talking with the physiotherapist, I can see myself running a half marathon next year and the (full) marathon in a couple of years.
Not sure if I can call this a highlight but here goes...I tasted a sample of YoPro's "Low Fat Protein Frozen Yogurt". It reminded me of Wendy's "Frosty". It was so good that I'll have to buy some -- unfortunately, it's only available at Whole Foods Market; Goodness Me; Pusateri's Fine Foods; and Bruno's Fine Foods at the moment. Yummy!
Should get my stuff ready for tomorrow morning. Then it's off to walking down Yonge Street (and conquering the well known "Hoggs Hallow") and then through the most amazing view of Rosedale Valley. Once we head north on University Avenue, it'll be around Queen's Park - which Roger Robinson said today at the expo is symbolic of the marathon legend from the stadium and the Royal family -- there was a turn around there. Good luck to fellow runners and walkers. Let's hope the weather is amazing tomorrow!
Louis

No comments: