Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Race Report - Midsummer Night's 30 K Run


This is the 3rd year I've participated in the Midsummer Night's Run; 2nd time in the 30 K race. I had a quick hour nap, took Bud on a short walk, and then was delayed a few minutes as I had trouble getting the time chip securely on the shoe. Left the house at 4:45 PM and at 5 PM figured out I FORGOT (!) my Garmin :-( There was no time to go back home so I'll have to make due without the watch.

I parked in a plaza neighbouring the start/finish line and arrived at 5:10 PM. Did a quick slow run and then it was time to line-up at the start. The weather behaved as it was overcast and a tad humid. The route this year changed:
Runners will proceed south on Cherry Street to Cherry Beach, east along the Martin Goodman Trail and u-turn at the Unwin Bridge and return to Cherry Street north to Commissioners. Also, in Tommy Thompson Park 30K runners will follow the 15K route and cross the foot bridge before rounding the lighthouse. The boardwalk and beaches park have been eliminated from the route although participant's will still run through Ashbridge's Bay park.

I would have to listen to the body to determine pacing without the Garmin. This actually turned out to be great since I could focus on running, rather than consistently looking at the watch for distance or for pacing. I might leave the watch at home for future races.

Fluid stations were approximately every 3 K and they served as my walk breaks. I brought along a water bottle that was about 1/4 full and that served me well for the first 3 K. The crowds dispersed after the first fluid station and there was lots of running space. As in previous years, not many spectators but lots of company with fellow runners.

The purpose of this race was to run the 30 K with a strong finish, which sets everything for the full marathon in October. I am pleased to report that I did have a strong race as I only took walk breaks at the fluid stations. I wanted to becareful since there would be running on rocks in Tommy Thompson Park and I also wanted to look out for the potholes -- don't want a repeat of tripping as I did in the Around the Bay 30 K race in the spring. Generally a flat course.

The weather cooperated! I prefer the overcast conditions and there was very light drizzle at times. The humidity became obvious and I'm embarassed to report when I felt drops of rain, it was me :-| It was driving home that it was pouring rain -- that meant the late finishers were soaked :-(

Not sure if it's me but I didn't see the 1 K, 10 K, and another marker. My other concern is I had no idea what time it was; usually, there's a time clock. There was a time mat at the 21.1 K mark but no clock. Not a big deal... Without a Garmin, 1 K seemed like a long distance.

It was a strong race! Gives good confidence for the Toronto Marathon on October 17th. In addition to the amazing hoodie/jacket, the finisher's medal is huge! All this for $49. A bargin when compared to other races.

Not much room to walk after the race so I had to keep moving. Once again, water bottles were given at the finish line. I spent 15 minutes cheering runners and walkers to the finish line then went to the car to make the trek home. Stopped at the Subway to get a roasted chicken breast sub as a reward!

Gun Time = 2:52:46.0
Chip Time = 2:52:14.3
Pace: 5:46 min/K
Overall Place = 314 out of 651 (yes -- that's Pi!!)
Gender Place = 198 out of 316
Age Place = 71 out of 105
Reached 21.1 K @ 1:59:27
Time taken from 21.1 K to finish = 53:20

And like other races, Bud gets his photo taken with the finisher's medal:

4 comments:

zbsports said...

Great report and nice run. I am looking forward for more race update from you.

Robin said...

Great race report. I ran the 30K as well and also thought it was a good event. A little humid at the start but then not too bad. Congrats!

Irene said...

Thanks for sharing. Ahhh... the medal is unique and beautiful! Bud looks great in it.

I should have run the 15k. But I hesitated becuz last year's medal is ... kind of ... you know. Is the 15K medal the same?

Are you on "daily mile"?

Karen said...

Well done, Louis! That is a lovely medal, and a lovely jacket, too!