Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Race Report - Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon


Got out of bed at 6:30 AM (not a typo). Originally awoke at 4:00 AM and turned on the radio to see if it was raining (I could have listened out the window). I then forgot to reset the alarm button! Ouch. Didn't have time to give Bud his morning walk so I took him to the backyard and gave him his breakfast.

Left the house at 7:05 AM and had a warm-up run to Nathan Phillips Square. Good thing I live in downtown Toronto! Arrived with about 15 minutes before the start of the race and went to the washroom.

I know understand why one should arrive at the race an hour before. There was a huge number of runners who couldn't get into the starting corral. By the time I got on the road, I was a further back than I should. I arrived on the timing mat officially at 7:38:12 AM and it was very challenging to run since everyone was so crowded. The half marathon sold out at 9000 people, while the full marathon had 2919 people. The roads were wet from the recent rain. It was overcast but a bit humid.

We went south on Bay Street, turning east on Wellington, then south on Parliament to the Gardiner Expressway, heading west all the way to Windemere on the Lakeshore (near High Park) and then to Queen's Quay. This is where the half and full marathoners diverged. I think it was at the turn on Windemere that there was more room to run. Continuing to head east until Cherry Street, we then went south and then north on Cherry Street, turning east on Commissioners Street until Leslie. Then it was south on Leslie and back north on Leslie, heading east (could see Ashbridge's Bay and the Beaches), heading north on Coxwell and then east on Queen St East to Neille Park, and then north on Queen, getting into Eastern Avenue, through the St. Lawrence Market on Front Street, and then north on Bay Street until the finish line at the City Hall.

Here's my chip times:

10 K = 58:55
21.1 K = 2:01:02
30 K = 2:52:40
35 K = 3:22:31
40 K = 3:53:31

Gun Time = 4:15:52.8
Chip Time = 4:07:41.1

Gender Place = 1041/1828
Category = 167/292

Overall Place = 1398/2919

I'm thrilled that I reached my goal of 4:12:00. I think the speed work the past couple of weeks came in very handy. I wanted to keep under 6 minutes/K throughout. I passed many of the pace bunnies -- 4:45, 4:30, 4:15.

I took along 3 gels (safety pinned to my running shorts). I opted not to wear the mini-belt I bought since I couldn't trust wearing something new). I brought along my water bottle and used 15:1 intervals for the first 8 K -- drinking from my water bottle every 15 minutes. Then I started to take Gatorade/water, before taking only Gatorade at the fluid stations; the fluid stations then became my walk breaks (rather than the 15:1 intervals). It worked well.

Thanks to Coach Jenny at the expo, I took her advice and looked straight ahead (although my shoulders continue to tightened rather than stay loose). Her advice also included doing a quick "check" every K after 30 K. The last 10 K really was a mental challenge (I thank the spectator for reminding me of that). I kept thinking of the finisher's medal and telling myself to keep going, that I could do it. When I thought there was 1.5 K remaining, I saw a sign that says, "500 m left" (how did I miscalculate that...and I'm a mathematics teacher!).

The Good:

- The weather! Although it was a bit humid, there was no sun. Good thing it didn't rain, as forcasted earlier in the week, which turned to showers.

- The race is well organized. Lots of volunteers, police, medical staff, and spectators on the route. It is obvious the race organizers worked hard to make this a great experience for all! But there were instances when it was quiet -- especially in the 2nd half of the marathon (e.g., Queen's Quay before reaching Parliament Street, Commissioner's Road, Eastern Avenue). The crowds on Queen's Street were good!

- Fluid stations had lots of tables with water first and gatorade second.

- Finish was not crowded! Lots of room to walk for about 5 minutes. Well organized.

- Love the finisher's medal!


- Heard on the radio that records were set in the men's and women's marathon.


Not So Good:

- At the 21.1 K, one half marathoner was shocked to learn he didn't see the divergence of half and full marathoners. I'm not sure we can blame the volunteers or race officials on site since he took off his shirt so they couldn't see he is running the half marathon. At the 25 K mark, I saw a half marathoner running. Not sure if he wanted to run the full marathon but I imagine his chip is programme for the half marathon.

- There were way too many runners and walkers in the route. It was very difficult to run in the first 10 K. I'm concerned this race wants to continue to increase the number of races in the near future.

- "Flat, fast, & Festive" Hmmm...not flat on Queen Street East as there were many "rolling hills". A totally flat course is tough but the uphills were tough.

- The backlog of traffic. When leaving, it was "insane" with cars at a deadlock. This is in addition to the Word on the Street at Queen's Park as well as a parade on Dundas Street.


Took Bud on his walk to where else? The marathon! I sat on the sidewalk with 300 m to go and stayed until 2:05 PM. These are the runners and walkers who need the support the most. I just hope there was post-food left for them. Unfortunately, most of the spectators were gone by then.

As I reach my goal of running 1000 miles, I am now at 1320.89 K. This week was 58.52 K. If history repeats itself, there won't be any running for at least a week (most likely 2 weeks).