Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Marathon #8 (Toronto Marathon)


Marathon #8 occurred this morning. This year, the full marathon started at 7:30 AM, an hour ahead of the half marathon. A late change was the finish line would not be at Queen's Park but Ontario Place. Once again, the Toronto Marathon and the Mississauga Marathon occurred on the same day. Would be good to have them at least a week apart so people can run both of them.

Boarded the Hilton hotel shuttle bus to the start line. Arrived with 30 minutes to spare. Took a jacket and running pants - which were deposited at the baggage check for pick-up at Ontario Place. Temperature at the start was about 8C and it went to about 16C a few hours later.

The start line was well organized with ease to seed oneself properly based on finish time. Got a couple cups of water to hydrate. Race started promptly at 7:30 AM. behind Mel Lastman Square.

I kept looking at my watch as I did not want to start too fast. In the Toronto Waterfront Marathon, it is so conjested that one cannot start too fast - this one is different. I wanted to stay under 6:00 minute/K but found myself at 5:00 minute/K. I knew the route well since I drive it to and from work (Yonge Street). Also, the Lakeshore route is what I train on.

Running down Yonge Street, once again, took a toll on the legs. The 0.5 K Hoggs Hollow was run but that surely stiffened the calfs. There were a few "rolling hills" along the way on Yonge Street - none of the tough but added up to taking its toll later in the 2nd half of the race.

Once we reached Chaplin Crescent, we turned west to reach Spadina Road. This is a scenic route, passing Upper Canada College and Bishop Strachan College. As usual, BSS had a stand and gave out bananas. To make up mileage due to the finish line at Ontario Place, we ran north Forest Hill Road, again adding to the toll on the legs. Then it was south on Spadina Road, passing the apartment my godmother lived in when she was alive, and then passing by Castle Loma. The steep downhill was welcome and then we made our way to Rosedale Valley Road. This is beautiful during the autumn but was nice as it's downhill.

Now in downtown Toronto, the route was flat. While running south on Bayview Avenue, we did not turn at Queen Street but instead went south to River Street (construction). Then it was west until Bathurst Street to Fort York Blvd. Near Ontario Place, the full and half marathon runners diverged. Then it was west on the Martin Goodman Trail, west on the Humber River Bridge. This uphill I had to power walk as I could not take more toll on the legs. Then we ran north to Lakeshore Blvd east until the finish line.

This is the third time I have run the Toronto (full) marathon and it is never easy due to the hills. In the first half of the race, the chip time was good 2:03:58. It was in the 2nd half that was very challenging as the legs stiffened. I did stop several times to stretch the legs. There were times when I had to take a quick walk break. When there was a hill, I would power walk.

As the race progressed, it got hotter and the sun was shining. Not easy. I had 4 gels which helped give instant energy - but the legs were very tired. I liked one of the signs which said something like "your legs will forgive you". A few of the fluid stations ran out of Gatorade. I did not know whether the volunteer had Gatorade or water and had to ask. Also, a few of the K markers were off a bit.

Even though this is marathon #8, none of them have been easy. Reminds me of the famous saying "to respect the distance". The final third of the race was very challenging but I kept running with a quick walk break - or if there was a hill, I would power walk. For the final 2 K, I did my best to run and not walk. The final 500 m was tough as the running was slow - but the spectators kept cheering which helped immensely. I also appreciated the spectators saying "Good job" etc.

The post-race was great with bagels, bananas, chocolate milk, and complimentary PowerBar GelBlasts. No space blanket but I had my jacket so I wore it.

Running a marathon really is about mental toughness in addition to physical training. Each marathon has been a challenge yet so rewarding. Each spring, I have gotten injured and have reached the finish line.

What's next? Eyeing the Whitby International Marathon on May 27th. I spoke with the race director at the expo and he expects 200 marathon runners. Factor will be the weather. Maybe wear a hat? sunglasses?

Yes, I am addicted to marathon running...dilemma is need to do hill training but don't want to get injured.

Gun Time = 4:36:41
Chip Time = 4:35:49
21 K = 2:03:58
35 K = 3:40:55
Age Category = 156 out of 178
Gender Category = 891 out of 1084
Overall Place = 1299 out of 2130

Look at the piece of medal!
 
Bud wearing the finisher's medal. Very heavy on his neck!

No comments: