Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Race Report Acura 10-Miler


I picked up the bib and time chip (all together on the bib) at the Commercecourt Running Room on Saturday morning. Actually, I used this as a 30 minute run (since I couldn't get the run in on Thursday) = 5.12 K.



The time chip is attached to the bib. We were told not to fold or remove the foam. We were also told to keep our hands away from the bib when we went through the start and end mats as this could cause problems with our time.

Race start changed to 8:30 AM although I would have preferred the usual 8 AM start due to the weather. Fortunately, the humidex 43C won't appear until tomorrow. It was 18C when I woke up, feeling 26C with the humidity. I took along a hat and hoped I wouldn't get heatstroke. I did a slow run to the site, arriving at 8 AM. It actually felt cool without the humidity = 4.53 K.

This is not a scenic race as it's through Tommy Thompson Park. It is an expensive race, which makes me wonder why. The earlybird registration was over $60 and I registered with a combo package to save a few bucks. As most of the route is inside the park, not many police officers are needed.

I made the number 1 mistake: starting too ambitiously :-| I looked at my Garmin and it was below 5:00. The best thing about this race is fluid stations were every 1.7 K so that would serve as my rest breaks. A smart idea due to the heat. I also had to watch where I was stepping as there were numerous potholes, manholes, and speed bumps. In Tommy Thompson Park, we had to cross a bridge (had to becareful) as well as run on rocks and gravel. Fortunately there was no rain!

As many would attest, not an exciting course -- actually quite boring. Some nice scenes of the CN Tower and waterfront. Even near the finish line, minimal crowd support.

Eventually, I got into a good pace (after the too fast of a start). I looked at the Garmin many times. In the second half, it was very hot and I saw a man in front of me pour water on his head -- what a good idea for the last 3 fluid stations! With 2 K to go, a lady was being attended to for heat stroke :-( It could have been worse...

I should have checked out how far is 10 miles. I knew that 21.1 K is 13 miles and 5 K is about 3 miles.

I don't think I will do this race next year due to the cost and potential heat. Next month's Midsummer Night's Run will also be through Tommy Thompson Park -- but I paid $49 for that race, which is a longer distance of 30 K.

Good finisher's medal. I didn't spend the $5 on engraving -- but would definitely get a full marathon's medal engraved with finishing time.


Overall, I found the race to be well organized -- the corrals this year were in a different location than previous years -- good as I was able to get into the purple corral without any issues. The volunteers at the fluid stations and directing the course were great. Post-food the usual bagels, apple, bananas. I did pick up 2 "fun size" packs of Planters almonds. Yum!

Even though I made the mistake of starting too fast, I did have a Personal Best :-)

Place = 433 out of 1514
Gun Time = 1:26:42.5
Chip Time = 1:26:20.3
Pace (based on gun time) = 5:24
Pace (based on chip time) = 5:19
Age Category = 56 out of 136
Gender Category = 336 out of 803
First 5-miles = 43:08
Last 5-miles = 43:35

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was the lady being treated for the heat stroke with only 2k left to go. :-( indeed.

I spent two days in hospital undergoing every kind of test imaginable. A huge disappointment after spending so long training for this race. Nontheless, you are right, it could have been worse.

Glad you had a good race.

Louis Lim said...

The good news is you're all right. With a couple of months until the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront and 3 months until the Toronto Marathon, you could sign up for one of those races...or, you could sign up for the Midsummer Night's Run next month. Lots of options :-)