Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Saturday, June 26, 2010

iRun Race Report Submitted

Blogger, Karen (aka "Faster than Molasses"), invited me to submit a race report for the next issue of iRun magazine. Here's what I submitted:

NAME: Louis Lim
AGE: 38
HOMETOWN: Toronto
RACE: Mississauga Marathon
DATE: May 16, 2010
LOCATION: Mississauga

<< photo attached in a separate file >>

A marathon is said to be a celebration of months of training. The Mississauga Marathon has a special place in my heart since I ran my first half and first full marathon there. I like the scenic and downhill route and the fluid stations every 2 K, which allow for short walk breaks. This race marked my 3rd marathon as a runner.

My goal of a 4 hour marathon had to be adjusted after suffering left calf strain 4 weeks earlier at the Around the Bay 30 K. While running into Copps Coliseum, I nearly tripped from the steep incline and sharp turn. Weeks of stretching and physio appointments helped get me to the start line. To add to the challenge, I experienced light-headiness a few days before the race and it was only on race morning that I confirmed I would do it.

Thankfully, everything fell into place. After stretching the left calf, the tightness was not an issue. I was on track for a 4 hour marathon after the first 21.1 K. Reality set in with the final 10 K when my less than anticipated training set in; the rolling hills did not help the tired legs. The marathon is certainly a test of mental toughness as it felt like the race would never end, especially in the final 3 K when I was taking a walk break every minute. I appreciate the spectators who provided encouragement so I could run the remaining 400 m. I finished with a chip time of 4:17:10. I’ll go after the 4 hour marathon in the fall.

No comments: