Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, February 24, 2008

10:1 (x9)

Great weather this morning! 0C, sunny, and dry sidewalks. I even wore my sunglasses on my run! I woke up a bit late (but eventually got up as the pup continually licked me on the face trying to get me out of bed -- that's what Bud always does when he's had enough and wants his walk -- he won't stop with the licking until I'm out of bed).

My run began close to 10:00 am and I had to make a return trip home as I forgot my water (I figured this out 2 minutes into my run and didn't want a return of kidney stones, which are immensely painful). I needed this run today since we're supposed to get another 5-10 cm of snow on Tuesday. Enough is enough... I travelled the same route as the Martin Goodman Trail is probably still icy. My LSD is 14.35K, 6.55 min/K, with an average heartbeat of 160 beats/min. It's great to see my mileage during the year 2008 is now over 100K :-) During my run I got some deep thinking. I always find the first 10 minutes a bit challenging but once I get into a groove, the running is lots of fun. Nice to see other runners "out there" this morning. With spring only a few weeks away, the end of snow is near. I can't wait to be running on the Martin Goodman Trail soon! I now can run 2/3 of a half marathon. I think I'm on track for the Mississauga 1/2 marathon.

I'm currently using The Quotable Runner edited by Mark Will-Weber as bed time reading. Here's a good quote:

"Running is the classical road to self-consciousness, self-awareness and self-reliance. Independence is the outstanding characteristic of the runner. He learns the harsh reality of his physical and mental limitations when he runs. He learns that personal commitment, sacrifice and determination are his only means to betterment. Runners only get promoted through self-conquest." (Noel Carroll)

On a lighter side, here's a wonderful photo of a dog or wolf power walking. It's actually good form and this guy would have beaten me by power walking a marathon: http://www.artie.com/arg-wolfwalk.htm