Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Running Expo

Tomorrow will be my 7th full marathon as a runner. After work yesterday, I attended the running expo at the Direct Energy Centre in the CNE. My usual free parking at the neighbouring Metro plaza now has mandatory parking fee. I then drove the car to a closer parking lot -- paid $5 to park to 6 PM and paid an extra $3 to 7 PM.

My goal was to see and hear Fauja Singh speak again. He is now 100 years old and will be running the full marathon tomorrow. This past Thursday he set 8 World Records in distances 10 K and less. This Sunday, he will be will set world records for the half and full marathon distance. How he is able to be so healthy is truly extraordinary. No joint problems! Got photo taken with Fauja Singh. Have placed an on-line order with Walmart to get it an 11x14 photo developed to hang in my office at work. Reminder humans can do unbelievable accomplishments. Anything is possible!


At the expo, I also bought 2 pairs of running shoes from the Running Room booth. I saw an ad that was sent to my e-mail the day before about the discount on last year's model of the Adrenaline GTS 10 -- the running shoes I wear. I forgot if I wear 9.5 or 10 size so the salesperson verified it is indeed 9.5. $69.99 a pair is an incredible price.

The number of booths at the expo have decreased over the years. Always enjoy the free samples at the OASIS booth and the Cliff shots. Usual booths of major shoe brands booths and running events. Unfortunate that Toronto Marathon and Mississauga Marathon will once again be on the same dates (!). Need to remember to register for the Around the Bay 30 K race soon. Did buy 2 gels at the Running Room booth. Perhaps should have bought 3 gels. At the 16 K and 27 K (?) there will be Cliff gels -- haven't used these before but will take them. I think my body is flexible to what is digested.

No comments: