Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chilly Half Marathon



Drove after work Friday to pick up bib and tech shirt. As usual, it took over 1.5 hours.





3 cm of snow fell over night. Driving conditions on the highway was not good but also not bad. Fortunately, traffic was at a minimal on Sunday morning.

I should have read the map closer. I lined up with the 5 K and actually did the 5 K race. My chip time is 29:28.7 (gun time 30:20.4), placing me 16/21 in age category and 127/189 in gender category.

At the 4 K mark of the half marathon, I entered it. That would mean I would not get an official time and I would run 22 K instead. Good thing this race wasn't my "A" race as I would have been very upset and disappointed at the same time. I made the best of the situation and raced it to prepare for the ATB 30 K in 3 weeks.

The roads were slushy. Still can't believe what I did! I only figured it out when there was a turnaround at the 2.5 K mark. Oh well...live and learn.

I think I had a strong race, considering the weather conditions. Since I left my Garmin at home, I have to estimate my finish time. I crossed the finish line at 2:21 for 22 K. Subtract 6 minutes that leaves me at 2:15. Subtract 29 minutes from that leaves me at 1:46. Hmmm... something's wrong. I will never know how long it took. As I said, live and learn.

Banana, orange juice, and chilli at the finish line.

And my favourite pictures:

No comments: