Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Saturday, April 17, 2010

update + 25:1 (x2)

Have taken 1.5 weeks off from running to let the Calf Strain injury heal. Have seen the physiotherapist 3 times, with 2 more scheduled next week Tuesday and Thursday. Getting a little worried since I've already used $220 and at the end of next week, will be up to $350 (close to half the amount my work insurance pays for). Here's a photo I got from http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/back/backlowerleg/calfstrain.htm which shows the "trigger point" of the pain:

The physiotherapist does a sports message at the "trigger point", then ultrasound for 5 minutes, and finally applies a heat pack. He's also given me exercises to strengthen the stiffness:


Also, I am to stand upright and then use the big toe to help "push up" myself (both legs and then left leg). Does this make sense?

Got in my first run this morning and kept looking at my Garmin. Totally surprised that the run was painless :-) The physiotherapist said the left leg would be stiff at the beginning and to listen to my body -- the stiffness should loosen within 10 to 15 minutes; else, stop running. Right from the start, it felt great. I did run slowly and carefully for 25:1 (x2) -- 6.33 K. I'm thrilled!! But looking at the calendar, the full marathon is 28 days away...

Hope to have another run on Tuesday and Thursday next week after seeing the physio.

YTD = 524.1 K

No comments: