Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, May 10, 2009

I did it! I ran a full marathon -- Race Report


The purpose of this blog has been to document my journey to running the full marathon in Mississauga. It happened this morning and I am thrilled to report I reached the finish line -- it was the mental preparation that got me there.

I haven't gotten sleepness nights or race jitters since my first few races. In the 5 K Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront 3 years ago, I had difficulty sleeping at night and when I reached the race location, I was so tempted to go home since I felt so uncomfortable being in the company of "real" runners and walkers. My 2nd race, the Toronto Half Marathon I had to say, "I paid registration fee so I have every right to be here as everyone else" and kept thinking of the finisher's medal (which I saw hanging at the Scotiabank race and was told it's only for the half and full marathoners. My dream last night, although I can't remember many of the details, was thankfully only a dream and not reality (e.g., eating lunch midway through the race). When I woke up at 3:30 am, I thrilled it was only a dream and promised myself not to implement the mistakes of my dream.

Woke up at 5:00 am, ate Vector cereal, walked the dog, and was out of the house at 6:15 am. Got to Square One at 6:45 am. Thank goodness for the "secret" entrance of going north on Hurontario and then west on Queensway, north on Mavis, and then east on Burnhamthorpe. The entrance to Square One on Hurontario is a nightmare.

Did a warm-up of a slow 10 minute run. I was a bit worried that my left knee was still tight from last week's Sporting Life 10 K and wondered if that PB was worth it. Time would tell this morning. When I saw so many racers covered up in clothing, I wondered if I should have worn a long sleeve tech shirt, rather than my full marathon shirt 2 years ago when I walked the route in Mississauga.

Time did fly as the race was about to begin at 7:30 am. I drank the water from my water bottle and went to the washroom. I got into the starting line with the 4H 30M finish. There was a big screen TV showing mayor Hazel. I heard the gun go off and it took about 6 minutes to reach the starting mat. As always, I checked my shoe laces and time chip. There was no way I was going to run this and lose my time chip.

What I like about this race is how quickly the "crowdedness" disappears once you past the finish line. I didn't bring a water bottle since fluid stations were every 2 K. My plan was not to use 10:1 intervals but instead use the fluid stations as my break -- so literally I was doing 12:1 intervals (although I didn't do that in training, which looking back I should have). I kept looking at my Garmin to ensure my pacing didn't go below 6 min/K.




* The first 5 K were west on Burnhamthorpe and got quite scenic with the forested area below. My left knee was tight at the beginning and I knew that pacing was important. First fluid station took only water. Second fluid station took gatorade mixed with water.

* Next, we headed south through the scenic and downhill University of Toronto Mississauga campus, which is always a favourite. At about the 6 K mark, my Garmin starting to ring and wouldn't stop. I tried to reset it but to no avail. I had to shut it off, which it turned out was a good thing so I can concentrate on the race and not worry about time.

* Reached the first time chip mat at the 8 K. Gun time of 56:30, which is 50:21 chip time. Pleased with my performance so far! Left knee looser now. The 2 K fluid stations are great as I am taking my breaks there. Taking 2 cups of gatorade to avoid dehydration and to get the carbs. Unfortunately, I've had to go to washroom (unlike a half marathon when I don't need to take any washroom break) -- thank goodness for trees :-|

* Continued south on Mississauga Road (downhill and fast) and reached the 14 K mark where the half and full marathoners diverged. I must admit it's been a bit crowded and the separation would be a good thing. It did get much quieter now but fortunately I had company with me (unlike 2 years ago when I walked the full marathon, which was a lonely experience -- not seeing any racer for up to 45 minutes). I can't recall which K I took my first gel -- maybe 17 K?

* Headed west until the 20 K mark and headed south on Southdown, which was a big street. Route well patrolled by the police (lots of them) and volunteers. Reached 21.1 K with gun time of 2:13:37 (chip time 2:07:26) -- which is very good. The pacing was still strong and I remember Habs on the RR private message telling me the first half is easy, it's the second half that's hard.

* When we reached the 23 K, it was an out-and-back and you could see the runners who reached the 28 K mark on the other side. The route was quite boring as we went through an industrial area owned by Petro Canada. 1st gel station at the 24 K mark with water afterwards; took 2 gels to save one for later. At 25 K, it was a turnaround. Gun time = 2:38:16 (chip time = 2:32:07). Now it was tough as we headed north. Could see Lake Ontario as we went through a park.

* I always enjoyed heading west as the wind was to my back. Running into the wind has been tough. Headed west on Orr and then north on Meadow Wood. I believe it was here that there was a steep uphill -- I tried running up and then walked the rest -- no point killing the legs. In fact, there were quite a few bridges in the 2nd half that went down (no complaints) and then upwards. The weather remained nice, with the sun often coming out. I saw the lady with the oranges and bananas -- I should have thanked her for giving it to me 2 years ago when the fluid stations were often closed. I thanked them for an orange slice.

* Reached 30 K at 3:07 chip time (7 minutes faster than my ATB 30 K).

* Went through Jack Darling Park at the 33 K and that reminded me of 2 years ago when the K markers were taken down and I was trying to figure out on the map I took where to go. No issues this time around with other runners ahead. 2nd gel station at the 34 K mark. Fluid stations always welcomed. At this stage, I was taking 30 second breaks whenever needed -- e.g., after "climbing" Mount Everest ;-)

* West on Lakeshore -- again, the police have a great presence. More downhill and uphill -- these uphills I could go since they weren't that steep. I really wasn't prepared for all this down and uphill battles.

* At the 36 K, headed south to the Lake Ontario again and through a park. Then north a bit, reaching the final gel station at the 38 K and then east on the bridge. It's here that the half and full marathoners converged again -- I did see a few half marathon walkers on the route. It seems the half marathon route is so scenic so the rest was great.

* Oh forgot...it's about the 34 K or 36 K break that after the break, it was hard to get running again. I did take a break at the 38 K mark and ran slowly before getting into a groove again. Once I reached the 40 K, I promised myself that I had to keep running as if I stopped, I may not be able to run anymore. Slowly and steady I went.

* Into Lakefront Promenade Park I went and it seemed like forever. The crowds were great as they cheered us to the finish line. One spectator said, "Only 200 m left" and I knew I could do it. No crawling to the finish line!

* Gun time = 4:32:38.3
* Chip time = 4:26:29.4

* Overall = 1025 out of 1413
* Age category = 128 out of 146
* Gender = 654 out of 804

Got my time chip removed (and saw the volunteer put it in the basket so I don't get accused again of not returning it). Got my finisher's medal. Walked for about 10 minutes to cool down. Drank a few cups of gatorade. Ate 2 apples, 2 bagels, and some ginger cookies. After walking some more to wait for the finish times to be posted, and they weren't, so headed to the shuttle buses. The race is so organized as there's a walking distance to the shuttles. The shuttle was there, I boarded it and made the trek back to Square One plaza.

Estatic to have run a full marathon! One sign along the route said, "Pain is temporary, pride lasts a lifetime". And here's to show:



As I write this blog, my legs are feeling a bit better -- but I don't look forward to tomorrow. Oh boy...

Good news! Redleaf from the RR forum took some photos of forum members she found. I thank Redleaf for taking the photo: