Running in Year 2023 (Goal 2023 km)

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Acura 10-Miler Race Report

After walking Bud, ran slowly for 4 K to the start line of the Acura 10-Miler race at 8:30 AM in the Distillery District. Temperature was low 20s, humid, but cloudy. Took some time to get the Garmin to find a signal. Since I wanted to track mileage as I made the journey to the start-line, I opted to wear the Garmin during the race -- good idea since it helped with pacing (need the data rather than how I fast I feel I am running).

Start was a bit conjested with both the 10-milers and the 5Ks together. At the 2.5 K, the two races diverged, which gave more running room. Parts of the race is similar to the Midsummer Night's Run 30 K (next Saturday) as it goes into Tommy Thompson Park; along Commissioner's Road is also the route for the Scotiabank Toronto Marathon (in mid-October).


The fluid stations were organized, with gatorade always first and then water. Volunteers were ready at all times and were great. Courses were well supervised by the volunteers so everyone stayed on course. I like the number of fluid stations as that gave me an opportunity for a drink and walk break: 1.7km; 3.3km; 5.4km; 8km; 10km; 12km; and 13.5km.

I think I found my pace at approximately 4 K. I know the slow run to the race site was not easy. I looked at my Garmin frequently to ensure I was below 6:00/km. I even got below 5:00/km for a bit. There was a band at the 2 K mark (and coming back at the 14 K mark) which helped. There was also music playing at the 13 K mark. Minimal spectators, as in previous years.

Finisher's line was a welcomed sight! Finisher's medal and then walked to cooldown. There was complimentary yogurt and it was not good :-( Banana, apple, and bagels were good. Lisa Purdy recognized me and we chatted. She BQd at the spring Toronto Marathon by 3 minutes and is looking forward to applying on-line beginning September 19th. We're all cheering for her.

Stats:
* Place = 799 (out of 1685)
* Chip Time = 1:31:13.2 (Pace = 5:37/km)
* Gun Time = 1:32:13.0 (Pace = 5:41/km)
* Age Category = 98 (out of 157)
* Gender Category = 561 (out of 905)
* First 5 miles = 47:47.4
* Second 5 miles = 44:25.7 (wow - a negative split!)

Wasn't originally planning to partake in this race but with $30 early bird special, couldn't resist! Races have gotten so expensive as on-site registration was $75. Charity recipient is Canadian Cancer Society so this is a good one to support.




No comments: